Personal Training in Nashville, TN
Musicians shouldn’t trust their bodies to just any personal trainer.
We are athletes and have unique needs. Most musicians don’t even understand why they’re in pain or that by doing the very thing they love they are susceptible to overuse injuries. We are largely untaught as to how to take care of our primary instrument (our bodies) and when pain hits we are at a loss for who to see.
Come see me – I fix musicians.Angela
Don’t settle for just any personal trainer
As an active professional musician, I understand the rigors of being a pro. Long hours in the studio or practice room, messed up sleep schedules, etc. Does this sound familiar?
90-95% of musicians end up injured as a direct result of playing their instrument – don’t be another statistic! Vocalists and conductors have unique needs as well and most personal trainers who deal with the weight loss crowd just aren’t trained to understand your needs.
I am a Certified Personal Trainer and Corrective Exercise Specialist through the National Academy of Sports Medicine and am also a Senior Fitness Specialist, meaning I have studied to uniquely tailor training programs to the needs of my senior clients.
- muscle spasms
- pain when playing
- limited or decreased endurance
- numbness or tingling in arms, wrists or legs
- low back pain
- neck pain
- shoulder pain
- carpal tunnel, tendonitis or tendonosis
- focal dystonia
What makes me different?
At our first meeting you will get a movement assessment to find out just where your personal muscle compensations are. From there I will lay out a personalized program to help you meet your specific needs and I will be training you in person. I don’t just take your measurements and count reps. I am with you every step of the way, coaching you on learning proper form, doing the hand holding until you understand how your body is supposed to move. Every 4-8 weeks (depending) you will get a new, progressive program, building off your previous four weeks of achievements. What differentiates me from the crowd and what do you get with Music Strong?
- Individualized training program tailored to your unique goals, health situation and with your lifestyle in mind. No matter your circumstance we take your entire lifestyle and history into account be that you have just come from physical therapy and don’t know how to get back into normal training, have neck pain from 30 years as a desk jockey, are limited to training 1-2x’s a week, or are frequently on the road travelling. Your training program builds on what you CAN do and gets you to where you need to be.
- Initial consultation and assessment. I do more than ask you your goals, I find out how your body moves. We work on the weak spots and relax the overactive spots. Why is this important? You cannot ask a muscle to do more than it is able to do. If a muscle is not working correctly and another muscle is doing too much, if you ask those muscles to do more without addressing the compensation your are ASKING for injury. An assessment should be more than determining your measurements, age and body fat.
- Progressive Training Your program changes every 4-8 weeks, and each exercise has a more advanced option built-in so that as you progress, your training progresses with you, allowing you to grow, never stagnate.
- Copies of your plan, training log, goal achievement resources and nutritional guidance. Many trainers make up their workouts with you on the spot. This is NOT helpful for you, as you have no idea if you are progressing and it also means they have no structure to their training.Â When you sign up with Music Strong, you get a detailed workout plan telling you exactly how to workout, what days, when and what exercises, with video links to less-common exercises. You also get goal planning resources and nutritional information from top nutrition experts. Forget the fads of Atkins, Paleo or Clean Eating. There is no one way to eat and no one way for everyone. I give you the tools to find your own niche, your own groove and make it happen YOUR way. You also get all of these tools in hard copy AND digital format! Click here to see a sample plan: sample plan
- My Niche, I’m not only a trainer, I’m a professional, classically trained musician myself. The biggest thing that sets me apart from other trainers is that I am a musician and I understand the unique demands placed on musicians. We truly are athletes. Just like professional sports players have to practice hours a day, we practice hours a day on our own, in addition to rehearsals and performances. As a flutist, playing an asymmetrical instrument gives me a unique perspective on the level of fitness required of musicians, especially instrumentalists. We end up conforming our bodies to the instrument instead of our instruments to our bodies and as a result, musicians have the highest work injury rate of any profession. You do NOT have to struggle with thoracic outlet syndrome, carpal tunnel, tendonitis or tendonosis, neck pain, back pain, shoulder pain, wrist/elbow or hand pain. Let me help you be prepared to meet the demands of your playing career by becoming stronger, more mobile and less compensatory – increasing your endurance allowing you to play for hours without pain! This is not only for instrumentalists. Vocalists and conductors have strength training needs as well – let me help you make the most of your primary instrument, your body. Musicians, please don’t trust your body to just any trainer.
Where do I train?
- Several locations in the Nashville area. See our Training Rates for more information.
- I also train online – if you are familiar with weight training and do not live close to the Nashville area, you can purchase a training plan from me, receiving many of the same benefits listed above, the only exception is that I am not physically with you. We have our initial assessment over Skype and if you have the ability to take Skype with you into the gym, we can set up a time for me to coach you through some training that way as well.
- Would you like me to come to you? I am available for travel and for workshops. Please see the workshop tab for more information on my presentations, workshops and classes available.