The Self-Employed Musician with
Successful music studio business owner, violist, strongman competitor and recent mom, Ashley Hagadorn joins us for a conversation you can lump under "things I didn't learn in music school but should have". We cover how to go from traveling teacher to owning your own studio, taxes, marketing/branding, logo design (remember this: people don't read!), contracts, getting paid and how to put more responsibility on your students/clients so you aren't doing EVERYTHING.
You can find Ashely on Facebook and IG at:
Also covered - get a CPA!
We also delve into how to she went from cardio bunny to Crossfit to finding her way into loving Strongman lifts and more importantly, how it has helped her as a musician!
- Get a CPA (they aren't as expensive as you think)
- Keep logo simple and marketing pretty- people look at pictures, they don't read
- Lifting for strength and lifting for size are completely different - if you want to get strong you won't automatically look like a bodybuilder.
- App for tracking your mileage - Mile IQ
- Music Teacher's Helper: (use this link for a free trial and 20% off your fist month)
- My Music Staff
- Angela's teaching site on MMS with contracts/billing, etc. for an example.
- "How I Made $100,000 My First Year As a Piano Teacher" by Kristin Yost
- "Profit First" by Mike Michalowicz