So you have a foam roller, but do you know what to do with it?
I like to call a foam roller “the poor man’s massage therapist”. While in no way can a foam roller take the place of an LMT, it definitely can help keep your tissues supple and mobile.
- use this as a routine by itself or as the very first part of your warm up.
- With the exception of the thoracic spine, roll slowly looking for tender areas. When you find what you consider to be the most tender area, hold pressure directly in the middle of that spot until pain subsides.
- Pain should never be above a 7 on a 1-10 pain scale.
- Roll thoracic spine
- Thoracic extension (stretch)
- Roll Lat
- Open book mobilization
- Roll Calves
- Roll Quads and Hip Flexors
- Roll TFL (not IT Band!)
- Roll adductors (inner thigh)
- Roll glutes
I cover all of these in my book “The Musician’s Essential Exercises” and even more in my instrument specific workouts. Stay Music Strong!